Adam and I love the snow. I have many fond memories of playing in the snow. I love feeling it crunch beneath my feet while I throw snowballs. I love falling down in it to make snow angels. It is fun to build a snowman. I even like to eat the stuff! We have missed it these past years living in Ft. Worth. I have really missed it after all my experience in Illinois with it. Yet there were some things I had forgotten about it. I was reminded recently about one of my favorite things about the snow. It gave me challenge for myself.
We were on our way to Mt. Juliet one night when it unexpectedly began to snow. I was excited for Grace yet a bit hesitant for us. Folks down here freak out when it snows. A lot of people are unsure about how to drive on the stuff. That makes it dangerous for those who do traverse out on their own. I was one of those who took the challenge. I survived my driving experience. In fact I enjoyed it.
While I was driving by myself I began to notice how beautiful the snow was in the dark. I recall standing outside in Illinois in the dark admiring the beauty of it all. However, I don't know if I ever realized this before to the extent I realized it on this night. It amazed me how I could see everything for miles in the dark. Things that I hadn't even noticed in the day were apparent to me on this night. It was neat to see animals wandering around. I had driven these roads before in the dark and always missed them. Now they they were unhidden from the shadows of the night. The deer couldn't hide from me on this evening. Nothing could hide.
We actually didn't start back home until midnight. Adam and I commented he whole way home on how amazing it was to see. We pointed things out to Grace that we never could have pointed out in the dark. Nothing was hidden from us. We amused ourselves by turning the lights off on our car while we drove. It didn't matter. We could see everything! Another car could have been driving toward us and we still could have seen each other. There was no need for lights. (Although I did fuss at Adam..just cause)
Adam asked me if I knew why things were so visible. I humored him and asked why. He commented that the snow was reflecting the light of the moon. It was then that I understood something I had never completely understood before this night. I know it was a God thing that I would be traveling on this road at this time.
God spoke to my heart that night. He reminded me that I was to be a reflection of him. Just as that snow was a reflection of the moon. It made me wonder if all Christians were a true reflection of Christ would we dispel the darkness just like the snow had done that evening? Here we live in a world of darkness. Just like that dark night while we were driving home. Yet if we truly reflect the light of Christ in ourselves the world would be a much more beautiful place. I tend to think so.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment