It has been interesting some days to have two little ones in the house. I find myself being pulled in all sorts of directions. Most of the time I don't get to do anything I want to do. (Take a shower, trim my nails, get out of the house) I do what I have to do. (Nurse a baby, change diapers, feed children, eat, and sleep) There are moments when both need my attention desperately at the same time. Of course there is only one of me. It is difficult to choose which little one to attend to first. Inevitably someone ends up in tears. Sometimes that someone is me! Or someone ends up screaming like a Comanche. Sometimes that someone is me too! Yesterday we had a few of those moments.I typically lose it around nap time. These days we all need a nap! There is nothing more frustrating when our nap routine is not going as I planned. (What mother should ever try to plan anything? It typically does not go as planned) Yesterday I lost it. Yep I had a good Indian war call go out. (It must be the Cherokee in my blood. Or perhaps my sin nature) I ended up apologizing to my daughter for acting ugly in my anger, praying with her and asking God for forgiveness for my actions, crying in my prayer, and making myself take a nap too. Things went better until that evening.
For some reason our children thought bed time would be another great time to test us. (Of course my sweet sister had called and I couldn't talk to her either) Grace Ann has recently developed a problem with "nightmares". She wakes up several times a night crying and wants to get in the bed with us. I think it has something to do with Isaiah being in the room currently. Well we decided to walk her back to her room every time. (Two little ones in the room does not make for a decent nights sleep. Whatever that is at this moment.. hee hee) Isaiah has developed this thing about waking up as soon as you lay him down in the bed. Very frustrating as well. It makes getting any sleep extremely difficult!
So imagine us last night as one parent was dealing with one child while the other was dealing with another. For a time Adam thought it was comical. (I told him that wouldn't last for long) We would get one child quiet and in the bed and the other would immediately rouse and start crying. It was our own little circus here. (I did not think it comical) I would nurse or rock Isaiah back to sleep while Adam would talk, pray, and spray "no scare be safe spray" aka Febreeze in Grace's room with her. Then we would trade off (Adam minus the nursing) Finally around 11:00 p.m everyone was asleep.
It started with Grace Ann again around 2:00 a.m. Adam had just come to bed (He hasn't learned about sleep like I have) I was nursing Isaiah .. round one. Adam got very frustrated. Every time Grace would wake up I would be nursing Isaiah. So he would have to get out of bed. My sweet husband even mumbled," I'm going to punch a wall" (Aaahh the satisfaction to see you are not alone in losing your mind) The last time Grace Ann woke up crying I was able to return her to her room. (I had to save a wall) I prayed with her and she dozed right off.
Today our nap time went much better. Both of my children are asleep right now. I did not lose it today. I even feel like blogging. All I can say is consistency and PRAYER works. I don't know how people who aren't Christians deal with the stresses that come with being a parent. I am so thankful to have the Lord to give me the strength I need just to make it through the day. I don't have it all together. I am thankful I know One who does!
6 comments:
I understand your frustration! We have had "battle of the nap" for about 2 weeks now and "battle of the bedtime" a bit too. It is actually starting to get better but for about a week I was about to lose my mind!
I still remember vividly life while trying to take care of a newborn and a 2 year old. Let's just stay, I understand and I'm praying for you. He is a cutie! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Nicole
It is so good to hear I am not the only mom in middle tennessee that loses her temper! Thanks for sharing your story it made me laugh and cry. I love that you prayed with Grace Ann, how precious that is! I hope everyone will sleep better in the days to come.
Christie
Can't wait to meet your sweet Isaiah and see Grace Ann again!!
Love you!
Julie
Amen, Sister! I am with you! I understand the frustrations of having a toddler and a newborn!!! Catherine has been waking up early and so one of us always has to take her back to bed. Claire is sleeping through the night (on most nights), so that is better. Don't worry -- it will come for you too! I just know that without the Lord, I would have already completely lost my mind (notice I said 'completely.' I know that part of my mind has been lost forever)! We mommies need to stick together and pray for each other! I love you! Hang in there!!
Just checking in on you & your family. Prayer is the only substitute for lack of sleep.....hang in there ! As I send my youngest to kindergarten it seems as if only yesterday I had a newborn & a 2 year old. It's all a blur.... :-)
Blessings. Dawn from MOPS
Post a Comment