Monday, June 2, 2008

Random thoughts of a sleepless giant

The further along I have gotten in my pregnancy the more I empathize with "mature" people. I thought I would list some of the similarities we share in no particular order.

  • We prefer to avoid the "three c's" because they make us uncomfortable. They are the following:
Caffeine
Carbonation
Constipation
  • Maalox is our favorite drink of choice.
  • Gas, constipation, acid indigestion, and heartburn can and do occur all at once.
  • We are concerned about our bowel movements.
  • Certain foods just don't agree with us
  • We have to pee all the time.... we can even sneeze and pee at the same time.
  • We wear very large underwear
  • Sleep is just something that happens to everybody else. We see the sun come up.
  • Nap time is a necessity to make up for the lost sleep at night.
  • Everything is stiff and aches.
  • We drop things all the time.
  • We can't bend over to pick up what we just dropped.
  • We know if we get down on the floor we may never come back up.
  • "The clapper" seems like a great invention.
  • We walk slower than everybody else.
  • It takes us longer to get up from a sitting or lying down position.
  • We need help getting in and out of the bathtub.
  • It is hard to catch a breath at times
  • The first question others ask us is always "How are you feeling?"
  • People want to know details about our doctor appointments
  • We get easily confused or lose our train of thought
  • We tend to ramble about our physical and emotional ailments

With that I will end my list. I am sure I could think of more things. I need to go to bed.

Hmmm.... makes me think I need to be more sensitive to my "senior" population. At least I can get some relief in a few months. Makes me want to be more helpful to others when I do get some relief. Makes me thankful for every breath I take, meal that agrees with me, wink of sleep I get, and move I make. Thankful God gave me a body that can go through all these physical changes and still function afterwards. Thank you God for reminding me how blessed I really am in the grand scheme of things.

No comments: